Sunday, October 20, 2013

NINE LIVES -- a documentary by Dean McDermitt


I remember learning about Greek mythology when I was a child and always being intrigued by the idea of the 9 Muses.
In case you don't know, the story goes that Zeus had nine beautiful daughters and they each represented a specific art.  The Muses were a source of inspiration for all of the arts and sciences including music, poetry, dance, history, astronomy, comedy, and tragedy. 
I've always wanted to update that concept and create a documentary that showcases nine of the most intriguing artists (male and female) here in Florida. 
Nine Lives will take an inside glimpse into the lives of nine unique artists.  The movie will be an exciting cinematic journey that introduces a variety of unique creative individuals including a painter, a musician, an actress, a photographer, a comedian, a dancer, a writer, a singer,  etc...

Each artist will have a completely different cinematic style and musical score to complement their story.  The challenge will be to weave together the various stories into an entertaining and enlightening tale.
I believe that art has the power to wake up an inner part of your soul that yearns to connect with others.

My goal is to re-invent the visual language of cinema and create a watershed movie that can be appreciated for many years to come.  
As a filmmaker/photojournalist/theatre director, I know first hand how challenging it is to try to survive and succeed in the entertainment business.  This movie will allow me to shine a light on nine new and uniquely creative perspectives in our community.
I love the idea of discovering and showcasing new artists who, like me, are outsiders and underdogs who deserve a moment in the spotlight.

That's one of the things that I cherish about creating cinema.  
Making documentaries allows me to explore and discover new things about myself through the art of sharing other people's stories.  
Cinema is truly the ultimate art form.
I believe that artists have the ability to tap into a higher power and discover a deeper meaning of the world we live in.  In a way, 
an artist is an angel inspired by a creative spirit. 

Angels are heavenly beings who act as intermediaries between Heaven and Earth.  In fact, the word angel also means "messenger."    
This movie will help share their unique and insightful perspectives 
with the world.  The journey of their life IS the message.  

Unlike our previous short movies, this project will require a proper budget and schedule.  I’m certainly going to need some help with fundraising, grant writing, donations, crowdfunding, sponsors, executive producers, etc...
When the time is right, I pray that with a lot of hard work and passion everything will come together to create a cinematic work of art.
In addition, I have already registered a website domain to showcase the movie on the web: 

Our tag line for the movie poster will be: 
THERE ARE NINE SIDES TO EVERY STORY.

Share the vision!

No comments:

Post a Comment